Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Hills and hippies ...


 
   
My first stop in San Francisco was Haight-Ashbury
... It was a scene of hippies and hills and head shops everywhere ... So Ithaca on a grander scale ... I loved it ... I spent some time with my girl Anny (of tavern lore)
and had some drinks in the Castro area with my boy Eric (also of tavern lore)
and back with Anny to see a band ... I also had the most delicious Carne Asada tater tots ever!!! (Not that I had ever had them before but I've had tots and I've had tots with many toppings and these were just marvelous) 
If you happen to be in San Francisco you must locate these specific ones ... A place called parkside near a bar called Connecticut Yankee (ickkk crappy not personable bartender and boston gear everywhere) ... And then I sleep ... 

Day 2 I ventured out to see the San Francisco of local lore ... I hop aboard BART and head to the ferry building also known as the Port of San Francisco 
This building was like a really nice reading terminal ... If you've been in Philly you will understand ... If not it's a maze of stands offering foods of many flavors with a spattering of other options 
Enjoyed a light snack of some delicious empanadas that knocked all empanadas I have had out of the water 
Corn, basil and cheese 
Asparagus, roasted red pepper and cheese 

And then I made my walk to the wharf seeing so much along the way 
Alcatraz 
Sailboats galore 
Golden gate bridge far off in the distance 
All the sea lions !!!!!
Seagulls here are no joke ... They are HUGE 
Fishing boats ... The wharf must be near ... And all the delectable sourbread seafood yumminess I have heard of 
Random sites along the way 

I am here and all I can smell is delicious seafood everywhere !!!!

I want ... But I shan't have ... I have come for one thing and one thing only ... I must have one 
Ahhhhhh ... I have it ... Sourdough bread bowl and chowdahhhh ... It is good ... Although those who have had mine know I can do better ... It was still delicious 

And now I am too full to walk ... So I hop aboard a cable car 
See my bloated stomach from my chowder bowl ... It could have been warmer but it was still a good time 

It takes me to a mall with the most incredible escalators ... They turn!!!
This mall was huge !!! This is looking up to at all the escalators going up!!! I want to shop ... I want badly to shop ... But that means more to tote along and ughhhh to that ;) but I am cold so I return to the hotel and a hot tub to warm myself 

Day 3 and final day off to see the golden gate and the famous hairpin curves of Lombard street (that I learn while searching it's location was named after Lombard street in philly) I decide today shall be a walking day ... Yes I am aware San Francisco has hills ... I am undaunted ... I am focused (besides I've eaten many carbs) 
And I have seen it ... It is big ... It is beautiful ... And I now feel like ok been there done that ... Time to go 
And the walk begins 
I begin at just about sea level and apparently go below sea level ...
A few sights along the way ... Fort Point 
The Palace of Fine Arts 

 And I take on a quite rapid incline that I decide I shall jog up ... I make it half way before I lose my momentum 
Yes this hill ... I decided to run up this hill ... It doesn't look nearly as daunting till you make it up and look down 
And now I understand my loss of momentum ... It was way more incline than I had thought ... But I push on the famous hairpin turns await me at the top 
Made it! And now I can also see Alcatraz again 
Thank goodness for a panoramic view to capture a hairpin ... There are 8 because this portion of Lombard street would be too steep without them ... It is still very steep 
And then I go to get myself a reward for my walking and running ... 
rock crab and shrimp salad ... It disappoints me ... I only taste the mayonnaise and nothing more ... But of course the sourdough is perfection and then I opt for a second cable car ride ... 
And then I am ready (well it is time) to leave San Francisco ... But I will return ... It is beautiful and the vibe is awesome ... If a one bedroom didn't cost $4500 a month it could be a contender ... But for now it's a great place to visit and fall in love with 



No comments:

Post a Comment