Monday, March 10, 2014

Savor life

I arrived in El Paso to zero fanfare ... It's a sleepy little big town that quite frankly doesn't exist outside the hours of 6-3 Monday through Friday (at least in downtown) ... I am not joking even the Starbucks isn't open on weekends ... Finding food wasn't impossible but took more help than my urbanspoon app gave ... The locals sent me to The Tap ... This place is reminiscent of every dive bar I recall being in with my grandfather as a child ... And yet I am told good food lives here ... 

... Being on this "try the stuff you don't usually eat" adventure I order a ChicharrĂ³n burrito and an order of nachos ... I know what your thinking .. Nachos? Really Bethany? How common! ... My response would be ... Umm no!! ... I have long enjoyed tex-mex in my life ... I cried when chi chis closed (ok maybe not literally but I probably shed a tear) ... Well let my just say ... When you are in a town that is separated from Mexico only by a river that you could easily cross without incident ... you get authentic ... If you are still wondering what ChicharrĂ³n is I will explain ... It's a part of pigs (traditionally anyway) that Americans tend to discard (unless deep fried tossed in BBQ flavored powder and bagged) ... It is, simply put pork rind and it is delicious!!! ... I enjoy this with a lonestar beer (noted on the label as the national beer of Texas) and a shot of Cuervo, I must represent the two sides who have created this flavor palate ... And then because I am tired after 3 days of minimal sleep, or the sleep being slightly less than stellar,  I return to my room ... Order some desserts and sleep 

... Tomorrow I will venture out more and hope that El Paso shows me a more diverse side ... 

... I have already decided on my brunch location ... It's remarkably NOT the local fare ... But I learned about El Paso, before I arrived, that as food goes the revolution has begun where north meets south and things combine and create something new ... And avocado chocolate mousse is speaking to me ... And simply just asks "was there a chance you would say no?" ... 

... I believe that answer doesn't need to be stated ... 

... I also believe tomorrow I shall do a tad bit of running 



  •  
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment